Hanoi is famous by not only landscapes and the specialties but also the elegant and sophisticated beauty of the locals in each word and each gesture.
When is the best time to visit Hanoi?
Truc Back lake in a hot day in summer
There are 4 seasons in Hanoi but the most typical seasons are the summer with high heat, humidity and much rain; and the winter with dry and cold air. For those living in Hanoi for many years, each season in Hanoi will has its own beauty. However, for tourists, you should visit Hanoi in the autumn, starting from September to the late November as the weather is cool and convenient to move around the city.
How to move around Hanoi
To Hanoi, it is easy to move around the city because there are many choices in means of transport. You can take a bus, rent a motorbike, a rickshaw or an electric car to discover Hanoi.
Take a Hanoi cooking class to discover cuisine
Hanoi is well-known with a lot of food with diverse choices, from traditional dishes to western ones. But more than that, when join a personal cooking class, you get to make food and learn the recipe from the famous chef’s guidelines. Especially, the food in this class is specialties as below:
- Vietnamese noodle soup: It is the most traditional dish in Hanoi, which any tourists should not miss. It is often said that missing Vietnamese noodle soup when visiting Hanoi means you never come to the city. Here we learn from the recipe to ingredients to cook this famous soup including beef noodle soup or chicken noodle soup
- La Vong grilled fish (hanoi turmeric fish with dill) is the Hanoi style dish. It is served with vermicelli, pancake, roasted peanuts and herbs. In this course, we have a local market visit and we will buy a fresh river fish and some essential herbs to cook this Hanoi specialty.
- Vietnamese vermicelli with grilled pork (Bun Cha): When coming to Hanoi, anyone surely will mention this food with the delicious grilled pieces of pork, vermicelli, herbs and green papaya sauce. Especially since Mr President Obama got to try this street food at the Old Quarter, this creates you a desire to taste this dish. No worries, with the knowledge and experience from the original Hanoian, the chef Ms Hang shows the original bun cha and guides you to make this food and of course, a dipping sauce is also a crucial role in this dish.
- Fresh and fried spring rolls: It is a variant version of traditional rice noodle. Fresh rice rolls are one of the delicious foods of Hanoi people with simple way recipe and fried spring rolls as well.
Where to visit in Hanoi
- Complex of Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum includes famous places like Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum, Ba Dinh Square, Hanoi Flag Pole, President Palace, One Pillar Pagoda…
- Temple of Literature, the first university in Vietnam, is now famous destination for many tourists, especially the international ones.
- Old Quarter is typical feature of Hanoi with ancient house and streets with the ancient architecture of late 19th century. Besides, this area is famous with cheap but delicious foods.
- Sword Lake is considered as the “flower basket” in the center of Hanoi, attached with the historical story. It is an ideal place for many people with open and romantic space. Coming here, you will have chance to enjoy Trang Tien ice cream or Thuy Ta mint lemon ice cream.
- Also, you can go to the suburb to visit the traditional craft villages like Duong Lam ancient village, Bat Trang pottery village or Van Phuc Silk Village, the famous silk village of Hanoi to contemplate the genuine traditional silk-making industry or the traditional craft villages of Ha Thai lacquer.
- In addition to the natural sites, you can visit Vietnam ethnological museum, Art museum, Military museum, Hoa Lo prison, watch the puppetry performances or sit on the rickshaw to discover the daily life of locals.
Some notices when visiting Hanoi
- Summer in Hanoi is so hot and winter is dry so, if you visit in such these seasons, you should choose suitable clothes.
- You should remember to wear polite clothes if you visit Ho Chi Minh mausoleum
- If you visit Old Quarter, using a map or google map is very useful for you to avoid getting lost as there are many intersections and one way roads.
- While going shopping in markets or at shops, you need to ask for price first and then bargain to buy the items. Otherwise, you will get what you like with bloody expensive price.